- Signs a 22-year maintenance services contract with Reliance Bangladesh LNG & Power Ltd.
- Power Plant to begin generating power in early 2023. It will provide the equivalent electricity needed to supply over 850,000 homes in Bangladesh.
DHAKA, Bangladesh, March 31, 2021 — GE (NYSE: GE) today announced that it will be providing maintenance services and a suite of digital solutions for the upcoming 718-megawatt (MW) combined cycle power plant at Meghnaghat, Narayanganj, Bangladesh owned by Reliance Bangladesh LNG & Power Ltd, a joint venture between India’s Reliance Power Limited and Japan’s JERA Co., Inc. The 22-year agreement includes equipment maintenance on the gas and steam turbines, and auxiliaries, and implementation of plant-wide digital solutions on cloud APM (Asset Performance Maintenance) Health & Reliability, OPM (Operations Performance Maintenance) Performance Intelligence, and BaseLine Security Centre for the contract term.
“Emerging nations like Bangladesh need reliable and affordable supply of electricity that can further boost the infrastructure development and economic growth. GE’s proven track record of providing high-quality technology, services and advanced digital solutions along with the local footprint in Bangladesh, gives us the confidence that the 718 MW Meghnaghat power plant will set a new benchmark in delivering sustainable power to the people of Bangladesh.” said Ranjan Lohar, CEO, Reliance Bangladesh LNG & Power Ltd.
The Meghnaghat power plant will be powered by two GE 9F gas turbines, one GE D11 steam turbine and three H53 generators. It will utilize re-gasified liquified natural gas (LNG) fuel to generate the equivalent electricity needed to supply more than 850,000 homes in Bangladesh. GE aims to bring improved availability and performance to the plant while performing all of the plant’s major maintenance needs over the term of the contract. The suite of digital solutions provided by GE Digital will provide significant benefits such as:
- Asset Performance Management – helps in increasing equipment reliability and O&M efficiency across the plant and fleet. Featuring built-in GE industry expertise, advanced analytics and work process automation, APM is the backbone of power generation operations enabling the plant operator to detect operational issues before they occur, avoiding unplanned downtime.
- Operations Performance Management – provides analytics-driven insights to drive profitable operations and planning decisions. From operating at maximum efficiency to data-driven dispatch decisions, OPM helps to improve plant financial performance.
- BaseLine Security – addresses external and internal OT (Operation Technology) cyber security gaps and risks. The tailored cyber security stack will provide a solid comprehensive solution covering governance, endpoint protection, application & network security, data protection, privilege access management, OT monitoring, incident handling & response, data privacy and identity management.
“Today, by virtue of its economic growth, progressive policy framework and potential of infrastructure development, Bangladesh is a focal point for investment for global players in the power sector.” said Deepesh Nanda, CEO, GE Gas Power South Asia. “The upcoming 718 MW Meghnaghat power plant is a testimony to this fact. GE will continue to offer advanced technology to support the growth of the power sector in Bangladesh, contributing towards making electricity more efficient, cost-effective and accessible.”
As announced earlier, GE will also provide AGP upgrade for two GE 9F.03 gas turbines, steam turbine refurbishment along with control upgrades and supply the associated parts. Once implemented, AGP technology will help in delivering up to 6.7% increase in power output, up to 3.3% improvement in heat rate, and up to 2% increase in efficiency, while improving the gas turbine operational flexibility and extending its maintenance interval up to 32,000 hours.
Today, GE’s installed base of gas turbines are generating approximately 3 GW of electricity in Bangladesh. The company has a robust portfolio of gas turbine technologies including H-class, E-class, F-class, Frame 6, and aero-derivatives, installed across operational and upcoming power plants in the country.
GE (NYSE: GE) drives the world forward by tackling its biggest challenges. By combining world-class engineering with software and analytics, GE helps the world work more efficiently, reliably, and safely. For more than 125 years, GE has invented the future of industry, and today it leads new paradigms in additive manufacturing, materials science, and data analytics. GE people are global, diverse and dedicated, operating with the highest integrity and passion to fulfill GE’s mission and deliver for our customers. www.ge.com
About GE Gas Power
GE Gas Power is a world leader in natural gas power technology, services, and solutions. Through relentless innovation and continuous partnership with our customers, we are providing more advanced, cleaner and efficient power that people depend on today and building the energy technologies of the future. With the world’s largest installed base of gas turbines and more than 200 million operating hours across GE’s installed fleet, we offer advanced technology and a level of experience that’s unmatched in the industry to build, operate, and maintain leading gas power plants. For more information, please visit www.ge.com/power/gas and follow GE’s gas power businesses on Twitter and LinkedIn.
About GE Digital
GE Digital is transforming how industry solves its toughest challenges. GE Digital’s mission is to bring simplicity, speed, and scale to its customers’ digital transformation activities, with software that helps them to better operate, analyze and optimize their business processes. GE Digital’s product portfolio – including grid optimization and analytics, asset and operations performance management, and manufacturing operations and automation – helps industrial companies in the utility, power generation, oil & gas, aviation, and manufacturing sectors put their industrial data to work. For more information, visit www.ge.com/digital.